k2bookaholic

Kara the Book'aholic

I'm a mother, lifelong-student, avid reader, and reviewer. I'll give pretty much anything a shot, but my guilty pleasure is romance, especially if it's dark and full of suspense.

The Opportunist (Love Me With Lies, #1)

The Opportunist (Love Me With Lies, #1) - Tarryn Fisher

“I am Olivia Kaspen, and if I love something I

rip it from my life. Not intentionally…

not unintentionally either.

…my tainted, acrid love.”

Wow! I really don’t know how to start. I don’t even know how I feel about some of these characters—namely Caleb. Early on, I did a complete 180 –I went from loathing Olivia to understanding her, feeling her pain, sympathizing with her, and ultimately being proud of her. Caleb on the other hand—I’m not sure if I love him or hate him. I most definitely am disappointed with him. He was quick to point out Olivia’s flaws, but I didn't feel like he was so open to pointing out or acknowledging his own. I was crushed for Olivia when she witnessed his deceit.

“I loved you enough to put aside every one of my feelings

to accommodate yours.

What did I get in return?

Coldness and emotional detachment.

You are selfish and bitter and

you wouldn’t know a good thing if it

fell out of the sky at your feet.”

This all may be true, but does that justify Caleb’s infidelity? Don’t get me wrong. One minute I found myself loving Caleb and then the next I was extremely pissed at him. I felt like Olivia carried the brunt of the responsibility for the demise of their relationship when in actuality Caleb was the one who was unfaithful and just as manipulating. Granted, Olivia in true form cut her nose off to spite her face when trying to seek revenge—“an eye for an eye.” However, we all knew—including Caleb—that Olivia “was a relationship retard.” She was so afraid of being deserted by yet another person she loved that she ”kicked, shoved, and punched people out of” her life, so that she couldn’t be hurt again. Ironically, this very fear and a consequential lack of communication caused so much unnecessary pain.

The Opportunist was a heart-wrenching story of young love, betrayal, hurt, manipulation, and regret, as well as, personal growth, and finally how to truly love another.—“There is more to loving someone than just making yourself happy. You have to want him to be happier than you are.”

I am definitely hooked… I can’t wait to see what Leah could possibly do to top herself in Dirty Red.