k2bookaholic

Kara the Book'aholic

I'm a mother, lifelong-student, avid reader, and reviewer. I'll give pretty much anything a shot, but my guilty pleasure is romance, especially if it's dark and full of suspense.

The Tied Man (The Tied Man, #1) - Tabitha McGowan

Holy Hell! Okay, I need to start by saying, The Tied Man is not for everyone. Don’t get me wrong, it is a beautiful and powerful read, but it contains extremely dark material. Think along the lines of The Dark Duet, but in my opinion this is even darker and much more disturbing. With all of that said, this is an absolute superb read. What struck me was how realistically the author addressed many issues—the sex industry, social class systems, mental illness, suicide, drug abuse, prejudice, as well as physical and mental abuse and MUCH, MUCH MORE. However, through all the darkness, the author was able to integrate true, bona fide friendships and love within this seriously twisted story. These bonds became the driving force to keep our main characters going. Yet, they equally bound them to this horrible life. Confusing? That’s because I’m afraid to give anything away!

If you can handle vivid descriptions of “drug abuse, violence and non-consensual sexual activity,” this is an incredible read, but I cannot stress this enough, THIS BOOK IS NOT FOR EVERYONE.