k2bookaholic

Kara the Book'aholic

I'm a mother, lifelong-student, avid reader, and reviewer. I'll give pretty much anything a shot, but my guilty pleasure is romance, especially if it's dark and full of suspense.

The Truth about Dandelions - Hayley Linfield THE TRUTH ABOUT DANDELIONS, by Hayley Linfield was a unique read that was filled with literary references and religious beliefs. I’m having a hard time coming up with the proper words to convey my feelings. BUT one thing was for sure, Mara could not catch a freaking break! The poor girl suffered one loss after another and yeah, she became a flipping mess, but who could blame her? The religious aspects in this book were a bit heavy at times and at the beginning I was concerned that it would be preachy and I’d be DNF’ing it. However, it took a turn as Mara came to terms with the fact that her father was a ‘scoundrel,’ and let’s be honest, a complete hypocrite - she started questioning the beliefs she was brought up with – those that her father literally preached. “I’m sure there are plenty of religious, church-going people who are Christian in the nicest sense of the word, who love everyone and accept everyone. Such people are rumored to exist. But in my personal experience, the people who talk the biggest game about religion and salvation and redemption, are often the ones most in need of being saved.”This book was about an extremely broken young woman and through flashbacks, we were able to see how she turned into the polar opposite of the girl she was raised to be. I cannot stress enough how horribly I felt for her and even if I may have personally made different choices, I could understand the decisions that she made. We witnessed her struggles with loss, letting go, finding herself, and ultimately, acceptance. It was a powerfully unique read.*Copy was kindly provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.