k2bookaholic

Kara the Book'aholic

I'm a mother, lifelong-student, avid reader, and reviewer. I'll give pretty much anything a shot, but my guilty pleasure is romance, especially if it's dark and full of suspense.

The Prelude (A Musical Interlude Novel) - KaSonndra Leigh “Sometimes life offers a second chance. Seize it. Own it… Do not be afraid to walk outside of the line.”At seventeen-years old, Erin Angelo’s life completely fell apart. On one fateful day, she lost her father and sister—who was also her best friend—in a tragic ‘accident.’ Soon after, she lost the remaining pieces of her shattered heart. Her boyfriend left her and then the final blow was delivered with the loss of her mother, to yet another tragic accident. Simply, life as she knew it no longer existed. Therefore, she decided at that moment, since everyone she loved upped and left, she would never leave herself susceptible again—never give another piece of herself away. Five years later, the artistically talented Erin had left her tragic past in the States and was pursuing a design career in Milan. She co-owned a design house called Black Butterfly. It was here that she first met the devastatingly handsome, world-renowned Russian-American, swinger, Maestro Alek Dostov, who had commissioned her design group for his latest show. This was truly the opportunity of a lifetime. It could either make or break Black Butterfly. Sparks began to fly instantly between these two commitment-phobes. Despite the fact that they both tried to fight it, their attraction to one another was just too strong. The friendship that developed was sweet and the sex was HOT! Walls began to crumble. They both fell. HARD. Secrets were revealed—secrets so dark that they had the ability to destroy EVERYTHING. While I really enjoyed the premise of this book, I felt it didn’t quite realize its potential. Simply, there were aspects that just didn’t add up or felt unresolved. I also found the dual personalities—the ‘Righteous Side’ and the ‘Reckless Side’—incredibly annoying, as well as, the authors repeated attempts to emphasize Alek’s accent (“pa-neek attacks”). Regardless, it was an entertaining read filled with twists and suspense. The Prelude was a story about letting go of past demons and learning how to trust and love once again. *Copy was kindly provided by the author via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.