k2bookaholic

Kara the Book'aholic

I'm a mother, lifelong-student, avid reader, and reviewer. I'll give pretty much anything a shot, but my guilty pleasure is romance, especially if it's dark and full of suspense.

Undeclared (Woodlands, #1)

Undeclared (Woodlands, #1) - Jen Frederick

I really liked this book! Our two main characters were amazing—which let’s be honest, doesn’t happen all that often—the secondary characters were great, the story was relatively drama free, and the writing was well done. In short, this was an enjoyable read.

Our hero, Marine Noah Jackson, was an honest to goodness, good guy. He was unwavering, persistent, and knew exactly what he wanted and wouldn’t stop until he achieved his goal(s). His main objective? To win back the heart of Grace Sullivan.

During her freshman year in high school, our heroine, Grace Sullivan was given the assignment of writing to a Marine who was stationed in Afghanistan. They wrote for 4-years! Their friendship, eventually developed into so much more…

These two truly got to know one another while sharing their hopes, dreams, and fears through their letters. Both Noah and Grace had troubled pasts. Both had lost one parent. Both remaining parents were addicted to a substance - his father a drunk and her mother an addict. While Grace came from money, Noah did not. Both characters had insecurities. As the story progressed, we were able to see how Noah and Grace dealt with their past demons, let go of their fears, and embraced their futures.

Undeclared was a wonderful story that offered a fresh take on NA, while highlighting common struggles and fears that many young adults face. It also introduced an interesting cast of secondary characters that I can’t wait to get to know better. Book 2, Unspoken, is Bo, Noah’s best friend's story and should definitely be an interesting read!

I highly recommend this series to any NA fan!

*Free copy of this book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.