k2bookaholic

Kara the Book'aholic

I'm a mother, lifelong-student, avid reader, and reviewer. I'll give pretty much anything a shot, but my guilty pleasure is romance, especially if it's dark and full of suspense.

Walking Disaster (Beautiful, #2)

Walking Disaster (Beautiful, #2) - Jamie McGuire

I’m a huge fan of Beautiful Disaster; so needless to say, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on this book.

Through Abby’s POV in Beautiful Disaster, Travis was, to put it mildly, intense; so I couldn’t wait to experience Walking Disaster through Travis’ POV.  Witness his thoughts, vulnerabilities—exactly what drove him.  Unfortunately, I didn’t feel the same passion that exuded from Travis in the first book.  I hate to say it, but I felt Walking Disaster fell flat in comparison.  However, there were exceptions to this, especially during—the prologue, Travis’ first encounters with Abby, his interactions with his family, the final chapter, as well as the epilogue.  They all offered the reader more insight than they were able to gather from Beautiful Disaster.  Basically, just more Travis.  …exactly what I was hoping to gain from this book.

The prologue was absolutely heart wrenching.  We met Mrs. Maddox while she said her last goodbyes to her family.  It was simply excruciating.  She gave her youngest (3-year old) son some parting motherly wisdom.

“Travis, I need you to listen to what I’m going to say,

and even more important, I need you to remember.

…Can you do that for mommy?

…be a kid for as long as you can.

Play games, Travis.  Be silly—

…One of these days you’re going to fall in love, son.

Don’t settle for just anyone.

Choose the girl that doesn’t come easy;

the one you have to fight for,

and then never stop fighting.

Never—stop fighting for what you want...”

What the young Travis’ mind heard was Always Play Hard and Always Fight HARDER; which explained why Travis lived the way that he did, why he never loved another before Abby, and most importantly, why he never stopped fighting for her—for what he wanted.

“I decided a long time ago I would feed on the vultures

until a dove came along. A pigeon.

The kind of soul that didn’t impede on anyone;

just walked around worrying about its own business,

trying to get through life without pulling everyone else down

with its own needs and selfish habits.

Brave.  A communicator.  Intelligent.  Beautiful.  Soft-spoken.

A creature that mates for life.

Unattainable until she has a reason to trust you.”

It’s fair to say that, Jamie McGuire nailed Travis' backstory and this was what I loved about this book.  The reader was able to see why he was the way that he was.  What it was that he saw in Abby.  Why he fought so hard for her—for them and how he was able to change so completely because of one person—his Pigeon.

***I was provided an ARC in exchange for an honest review.***